Thursday, July 28, 2011

Travel & Postcards & Refugees

"It´s one of the oldest traditions in travel, but it may also be among the most endangered...

Ah, the postcard, that brief, but picturesque travelogue that lets you tell friends and loved ones that you’re having a wonderful time and you wish they were there.

In an age of texts, tweets and Facebook updates, it seems that sending postcards is going the way of brass room keys and free meals in coach.

In the UK, for example, the luxury travel company Cox & Kings recently released a survey showing that 35 percent of respondents preferred to keep in touch with those back home via texts and uploaded photos. By comparison, just 15 percent still sent physical postcards."

Continue reading the article "Postcards to travelers: Wish you were here" by Rob Lovitt.


I´m happy to be part of that 15%! It´s become a tradition on my trips.

When I travel in my country I make sure to bring stamps with me so that I don´t have to find a post office on each city I visit.

When I travel abroad I get really anxious about finding stamps and feel very relieved when I finally get them.

I like selecting a postcard for each person I´m writing to, and what many people find curious is that I often write postcards to myself. It kind of works as a souvenir, don´t you think?

Here are only some of the postcards I sent in the past few years!

But postcards are not always to be sent while traveling...


bratislaabratislavaaamadrid23qOttawa_ (150)Ottawa_ (152)bostonxxbostonxbratislavaviena4USHUAIA3san martinsAN JUAN4saltaolsztynekmontañita2krakow2la angosturael bolson2budapest2berlin7bratislaaberlin7poscardd (2)poscardd

Belandthecity3's photostream on Flickr.


My next postcard is being written at home for the project “Postcards for Libya”.

The iniciative is inviting people from all over the world to write postcards to Libyan refugees and encouraging to write them in any languages. Apparently even if they don´t understand what you are writing, they treasure the postcards anyway!

The postcards must be sent to the address below, using the name "Postcards for Libya":

Ennasr1

Code Postal: 2037

Ariana P.Box 267

Tunis, Tunisia

Politics aside, it´s a very kind thing to do... Being away from home, wounded, and far from their families, I´m sure these kids are needing warm wishes of a full recovery and maybe just a smiley face to make them smile:)

Each story is unique but they all need help. If you want to find out more about the situation in Libya, you can read the UN Humanitarian report here:

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/home/opendocPDFViewer.html?docid=4e0201a09&query=libya

If you have any questions, you can write "Postcards For Libya" by mail or on facebook:

info@postcardsforlibya.org or www.facebook.com/PostcardsforLibya

More information available online: http://postcardsforlibya.org/sample-page/



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Playlist


MusicPlaylist